Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Play 'n rate for July 9, 2008


So while I was writing that there intro-spiel, the mailman rode past w/ some "tasty" parcels strapped to his person, which funny enough were stuffed full of RECORDS. To get back into the swing of amateur-criticism, I'm gonna give em' each a short n succinct write-up as I'm listenin'..

Alphabetized for your convinience;

ADAMS, DOUGLAS "Light Rain" LP:
Spiritual, loner-folk as played by this violin wielding beardo, and a host of likeminded guest musicians. Notable for being reviewed in the Acid Archives(?). Sonically, this is pretty fucking boring. I don't really want to say "Lo-fi Cat Stevens", but I guess I just did, didn't I?? (Bio-Centenial)

ANALS, THE "Commando of Love" 7":
I am TOTALLY into all these recent releases from the highly incestuous 2007/08 sect of French weird-punks (Feeling of Love, Plastebeton, AH Kraken etc), and this Anals disc is definately another winner. Too short? Of course.. Like the back cover advises, "Just try Anal Love".. (Sweet Rot)

FRAUEN VON AVIGNON "s/t" 7":
Good minimal cold-wave from the right place and time for such, Germany 1981/82. Sloppy, punk influenced guitar work what's played over sparse & mechanical everything else. Chalk up another "dunca shun" (spellcheck) to Was Soll Das ? (WSDP)

GARY NUMAN/TUBEWAY ARMY "1978" 12"EP:
Great, albeit somewhat generic UK punk/pub slop by future Soft Cell member. Nothing special "on first listen", but I like it just fine and all. And I payed like $3 bucks for this thing on eBay.de .. Unrelated; I will pay at least 20 times that for AFFLICTED MAN's "Musical Bag" LP. Anyone?! (Beggars Banquet)

GURU GURU "UFO" LP:
Killer gatefold reissue of one of my fave acid/psych LP's of the 1970's. SICK!! (Wah Wah)

LOVE TAN "s/t" 7":
Dumb fucking band name (what once was PYRAMIDS), with a couple decent tunes so as to not render the record worthless. Really though, Love Tan is a shitty moniker and at least half the tracks on this 7" don't stick. Standout tune is definately no. 2, "Brush Your Teeth", an instantly memorable angular-pop-dance-thing.. This record actually reminds me a lot of INTELLIGENCE's last full-length "Deuteronomy".. That one was a grower, here's to hoping that this'n turns out to be one too.. (Sweet Rot)

MONOCHROME SET "Love Zombies" LP:
Not into this at all. Inflated interest in marginal German minimal synth has blossomed into some strange, surely fleeting appreciation for all kindsa tripe, even overproduced, major-funded eurotrash like this. Earlier material is definately worth looking out for. (Virgin)

ROBOT ASSASINS "s/t" 7":
Got this with the two Sweet Rot records. If I HAD to choose a all-time favourite marginalized punk rock derived music genre to devote my entire listening time to... and if it weren't fucked up, drug addled USHC; than it'd just HAVE to be late 70's-early 80's. UK- D.I.Y. Urinals, Desp. Cicycles, Tronics, Door and the Window, Collective Horizo.. yeah you know it all, I could live on this shit.. and so could/have the Robot Assasins I bet. (Total Sound Records)

THE WIGGINS "Feed the Ghost" 7":
Well hey, I can't play this one, cause it has the big hole, and my big hole accomodator thing has been missing since last weekend (I'll never drink again!). Still, the mp3 I have heard from this spooky one man act sounded real good, and I sure am glad I was able to snag one of these ed's with the hand drawn overlays. Looks fuckin' great! I can only assume this is another big winner from Texan label Dull Knife, who've so far been responsible for great releases by Hearts of Animals and RFTO Bandwagon, with some RUSTED SHUT vinyl reissues in the works!!. Such a nice guy he even put in a copy of the RFTO CD/LP, which I didn't even have to ask for (though I kinda cut up the front packaging of the thing with the knife I used to open the package!). Thanks Brent.. Your cd's are on their way!! (Dull Knife)

Oh shit, I lost the hook to that second track on the Love Tan (ughh..) 7". Better play it again. Later!

1 comment:

Neil The Darkness said...

Hey man, it's Neil. We were emailing for a while, but I seem to have lost yours. I added your blog to my list of links on http://nowthatihavetheattention.blogspot.com. I can also probably give you some advice on how to edit your layout and stuff. Email address is hardwareyouth at hot mail.